More than 65 years of history
The Casa de los Amigos is a Quaker Center for Peace and International Understanding in Mexico City, and the oldest peace and social justice organization in Mexico.
Quakers are a small religious group best known for their 350 years of work against all war, violence and injustice, and in 1948 they received the Nobel Peace Prize. In the late 1930s, with the invitation and support of President Lázaro Cárdenas, American and Mexican Quakers launched a series of social programs. These programs provided comprehensive assistance to Spanish refugees from the Civil War and invited groups of young people from around the world to work on collaborative projects in rural towns in Mexico, generating ties of friendship and understanding between people and cultures.
The Quaker community in Mexico established the civil association in 1956, and the family of the painter José Clemente Orozco sold the artist’s house and studio to that community at a symbolic price to support this work. In the 65 years since then, the Casa has offered aid and shelter to migrants, refugees, academics and travelers; provided a space in Mexico City for Quakers to meet, promoted countless movements and supported numerous social organizations, and served as a focal point for people working for a more just world. The Casa de los Amigos has been a point of reference for peace and social justice work in Mexico, and throughout the world
Casa de los Amigos lives thanks to people like you: